What are Keto Meatballs?
Keto meatballs are a low-carb, high-fat meal that can be enjoyed by anyone. They’re made with ground meat, egg and spices. The fat content makes them a healthy alternative to traditional meatballs.
The main ingredients of keto meatballs are:
- Ground beef (or turkey) – This provides the bulk of your protein and fat intake in this dish. You can use any type of ground meat you want; just make sure it’s lean!
- Eggs – Eggs provide both protein and fat for your body when eaten as part of this recipe. They also help bind everything together so that your keto meatballs don’t fall apart during cooking or eating! We recommend using whole eggs because they contain more nutrients than just whites alone–but if you prefer not having yolks then feel free to use those instead!
- Ground beef
- Ground pork
- Almond flour (or almond meal)
- Garlic powder and onion powder to taste, plus Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Olive oil for frying.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine ground beef and pork in a large bowl, then add eggs, almond flour, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning (or any other seasoning you like), salt and pepper. Mix until combined well with your hands or by hand with a spatula or spoon if you prefer not to get messy!
- Form mixture into small meatballs about 1 inch wide and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper; bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until cooked through completely (you can test this by cutting one open). Remove from oven once done and brush tops with olive oil before serving warm as an appetizer or main course alongside some veggies for dinner tonight!
- Serve with a side of roasted vegetables.
- Pair with a salad, like our Keto Caesar Salad or Creamy Cucumber Salad.
- Serve with a creamy sauce, like our Keto Alfredo Sauce or Keto Bolognese Sauce
Benefits of Keto Meatballs
Keto meatballs are a great option for anyone who wants to follow a ketogenic diet. This type of diet is high in fat, low in carbs and protein, and moderate in protein. It’s also gluten-free, dairy-free and can be prepared in advance so you can freeze them for later use.
If you’re not familiar with the keto diet: it involves eating lots of healthy fats (like avocados) along with high-quality proteins such as grass-fed beef or wild salmon–and very few carbs!
Tips for Making Keto Meatballs
- Use a mixture of ground beef and pork for best flavor.
- Use a cookie scoop to form the meatballs. This makes it easier to get them all the same size, which will ensure they cook evenly.
- Bake them on a parchment-lined baking sheet for easy clean-up! You can also brush them with olive oil before baking if you want them to have that golden-brown finish (and who doesn’t?).
Now that we’ve covered all the basics, let’s talk about what makes these keto meatballs so delicious: The secret ingredient here is bacon! That’s right–bacon makes everything better, even if it isn’t actually in this recipe (but maybe try adding some next time).
- Add grated Parmesan cheese for an Italian twist.
- Use ground turkey for a leaner version, or even ground chicken if you’re looking to go even lighter on calories.
- Add chopped fresh herbs like parsley or basil for extra flavor and color!
- Store cooked meatballs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freeze cooked meatballs in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Serving size: 1 meatball
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 8g
- Carbs: 2g
- Fiber: 0.5g * Sugar: 0.5g